Saturday, March 28, 2015

Get A Clear & Healthy Complexion The Natural Way

Ever since I hit puberty I struggled with acne. It honestly has gone down a lot in my adult years, but I still have mild breakouts as well as combo to oily skin which also gets very dry in the winter. I’ve tried the over-the-counter products such as Noxzema, Oxy pads, Neutrogena and Clean & Clear. And, yes, I’ve even tried Proactiv. At that time when I was young, I thought that the more the product irritated my skin the better. All of those ingredients would literally burn and kill away the acne. Well, all they did was, of course, irritate my skin. I have sensitive skin anyhow, so I finally began to learn that harsh chemicals were not my friends.

In my late 20′s I became intrigued by natural products, especially essential oils. In doing my research, I found that numerous oils provided proven beneficial results with skin conditions. Among those, the most commonly used is Tea Tree. We see this oil used in many hair and skin products we see in the store. It can be used as a topical antiseptic, antiviral and anti-fungal treatment. Besides Acne, the oil can treat such conditions as Eczema, Psoriasis, Athlete’s Foot, Yeast Infection, Congestion, Dandruff and Head Lice. Luckily Tea Tree oil is very inexpensive- average cost for a 2 oz. bottle is about $9.00. Be sure to purchase a high quality brand such as Samara Botane or Mountain Rose Herbs. As long as the label states the Latin name Melaleuca alternifolia (originates from Australia or Wales) and that it is 100% pure grade, you should be good to go. And a little goes a long way, so a 2 oz. bottle should last you quite a while. I probably go through mine in about 45 days or so, using mainly for preventing breakouts or decreasing the size and longevity of pimples when I do get them.

My daily regimen goes as follows:

-Wash face with 100% natural Castile soap. I use Dr. Bronner’s (which comes in different scents including Tea Tree) for just about everything- body wash, face wash, and even as a cleaning product around the house. Others I would recommend are Burt’s Bees and Yardley.

- If I have eye makeup on, I remove with coconut oil. It's a great alternative to buying makeup remover. Then I’ll use a baby wipe (unscented, moisturized) to remover excess dirt and oils around the eyes and exfoliate the skin on the face.

- I apply Witch Hazel and add a couple dabs/drops of Tea Tree oil to a cotton round and gently rub all over the face, not missing a spot, but being sure to avoid contact with eyes. You should notice that even after washing your face that this will get even more dirt and oil. That’s why just washing your face isn’t enough. (*If I have an apparent pimple, I will also dab a q-tip in the Tea Tree oil and vigorously rub it in a circular motion over the pimple. This will keep the redness down and dry it out. Usually my pimples will go down at least half the size by the next day.) 

- Next I apply a base oil to the face to moisturize. Different base oils have different qualities- I use coconut oil mixed with just a little grape seed oil (for firming/toning) and Jojoba oil (great for acne/redness/dryness). Just a couple of drops is needed- put in palm of hand and rub palms together gently then apply evenly and thoroughly all over the face and even neck.

~

Once a week I do a natural facial scrub and mask. It is so easy to create using products in your own kitchen! I switch it up often using different ingredients such as a base oil, honey, brown sugar, white sugar, fine sea salt, essential oils, and avocado. I suggest looking up recipes that would complement your face and give you the best results.

~

I don’t wear foundation, only concealer around the eyes and maybe to hide any blemishes I may have. I like my skin to breathe and in doing so, I have less breakouts. It’s best to only do this once a day- washing it more than once will surely dry it out. I’m very happy with my complexion and will never change my regimen as it has been the most successful one I’ve ever had. 

**Do not take Tea Tree oil orally or get in eyes
**There is no set dosage, but as stated, a little goes a long way.
**If for some reason you see more irritation after a few days of use, please stop using tea tree oil.

**The more severe the acne or skin condition, the longer it will take to clear up. Be patient, stick to the regimen, and also be sure to stay away from sugars. What you eat can also affect your skin.

transferred- original post date 03/28/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment