Wednesday, July 29, 2015

The Do's and Don'ts After an Injury or Accident

It is advantageous when someone who is a professional can relate to situations from personal experience. 

That definitely suits me in this instance. Thankfully I haven't had any major injuries or accidents but from what I have been through, my cervical spine is very sensitive, so the least little jolt can cause pain and tightness. 

Recently I had a fall and I went flying forward from my longboard. Yes, I skate. I hadn't for a couple of years, though, but I had built up strength and balance in my legs from working out/jogging/yoga so I wanted to get back on it again. I found a great trail with a wide, level trail...for the most part. I was doing great and then I quickly gained the courage to go down a minimal slope. I told myself that I would just hop off if I felt like I was going to fast. Well, it was too late. I put my hands out in front of me to avoid a facial impact. I did bounce on the pavement a little bit, catching my left knee, left elbow and both hands. The scrapes didn't bother me but I knew what the true aftermath was going to be and luckily I knew what to do. 

The rest of the day I applied heat and stretched. I was fortunate to get into the chiropractor the next day and even have a colleague give me a quick massage for my neck and shoulders beforehand. By the evening I felt ten times better. 

This experience has apparently sparked inspiration in writing this post. So, without further ado, here are the steps in taking care of yourself after an injury or accident as well as what to avoid. Each person and situation is different, so these are just general guidelines to keep in mind. If there are obvious or possible broken bones, concussions or major wounds, seek medical attention immediately. If you can't move, DON'T MOVE. Especially in the spinal region. You could cause further injury or even paralysis.Also know that you should never self-diagnose but you can tune into and listen to your body. It always tells you what you need to know. So, with that, heeding the following information is very important.

1. Don't assume that you will be okay. Especially if you've been in a motor vehicle collision. Usually you won't feel anything until the next day or 2. You are going to be sore and tight, even at a very minimal impact. Depending on the speed and angle of the impact, it will cause certain muscles and structures to be put under some sort of force or restraint. Even if it's minor, the pain and tension can build over time and can turn chronic if not immediately addressed. Chronic pain and tension is much more difficult to work with and relieve. The sooner you take care of the injury, the sooner you will allow your body to respond and heal.

2. Don't protect the injury area. If you feel tight and sore or possibly have a strained muscle, do not isolate the injury. Keeping it mobile will help the healing process and range of motion. Neck, shoulders, back...your mind wants to guard the area and protect from further injury, but you need to basically convince your mind that it's ok. 

3. Don't ice! Doctors and professionals for years would say to ice a fresh injury but inflammation is a natural healing response of the body, bringing white blood cells to the area. If there is extreme inflammation, it is good to have it checked out just in case there might be a fracture or muscle tear. It is best to keep pressure off the injured area and raised (above the heart, if possible). If there is no inflammation (which illicits pain, redness and swelling), and you are just experiencing soreness and tightness, use heat. You can never use too much of it either. Heat keeps the muscles, tissues and ligaments loose. You will thank me if you heed this one piece of advice alone.

4. Learn some gentle stretches for the injured area. Gentle is key- you don't want to exacerbate anything. It is best to seek instruction from a Physical Therapist or Massage Therapist. Using your hands or the wall to stretch and then using your hand or wall to push back out of the stretch will help the muscles relax instead of work after stretching.

5. While pain killers may help getting through the more severe pain, they can mask the underlying condition and dampen your sense of feeling, which can lead to overexertion and possible further injury. Cortisone shots simply numb the area, causing the same repercussions, as well as possible nerve damage. 

6. Seek therapies to help the healing process. Massage Therapy and Chiropractor go hand-in-hand with fresh injuries, especially when the body has been thrown or jolted. There are tight muscles and misaligned bony structures. If you have a chiropractic adjustment yet you have tight muscles, they will pull the bones back out of alignment and vise versa. Massage Therapy and Chiropractic techniques are important- be sure that the therapist or Chiropractor can provide gentle, less invasive techniques such as Myofascial Release, Trigger Point, Myotherapy, Muscle Energy Techniques, Manual Ligament Therapy and Manual Lymphatic Work (Massage) and the Activator Technique (Chiropractor). Your body is traumatized and needs a more soothing treatment to begin with. Digging into the muscles and manually adjusting the bones will most likely cause more pain and injury.

7. Other treatments that can help speed up the healing process are Acupuncture (great for pain, nerve issues such as numbness/tingling, pain, and loss of mobility), Physical Therapy (great for loss of mobility, weakened muscles, and tears to muscles/ligaments), Floating (sensory depravation- the pool of water is pumped with hundred of pounds of epsom salts which are full of Magnesium, a natural mineral that acts as a muscle relaxer), CranioSacral Therapy (very non-invasive, great for tension release, pain, loss of mobility), Reiki Therapy (non-invasive, great for fresh injuries that cannot be manually worked on or for severe pain and sensitivity). 

8. If one method of therapy is not working, don't give up. Try a combination of other therapies. Again, every body and every circumstance is different, so different therapies will have different effects. 

These tips are very important to your healing process. Leaving one out may cause the healing process to be prolonged or worsened. And, again, let me re-iterate the discloser:

If there are obvious or possible broken bones, concussions or major wounds, seek medical attention immediately. If you can't move, DON'T MOVE. Especially in the spinal region. You could cause further injury or even paralysis.Also know that you should never self-diagnose but you can tune into and listen to your body.




No comments:

Post a Comment